Thursday, October 27, 2011

Boys and Books...Let Them Eat Cake!

Today Pam Allyn, author of Best Books for Boys from Scholastic and Your Child's Writing Life (Penguin), led a webinar on Facebook.  She addressed questions about boys, books, and other struggles related to helping our boys read.

The best part for me was when Pam said, " One of the boys I work with said to me that he wishes teachers would allow for more choice in reading in school and offer more than (his words) "the kind of books teachers like that have medals on them"! 

I smiled widely.
"Thank god!" I thought. 
If we listened to kids more, perhaps as teachers and parents we'd struggle less.
I couldn't have said it better myself.

Are you listening?
I am.  Off to by more books.  No medals either.


You can follow Pam on Twitter ...

No comments:

Post a Comment